eHealth – Senior IT Officer
- Position: eHealth – Senior IT Officer
- No of vacancies: 1
- Department: Executive Office
- Reporting to:
- Functional Reporting: Health Information and eHealth Strategic Lead, MSF UK, Manson Unit
Administrative Reporting: Medical Liaison, MSF India Branch Office
- Location: New Delhi, India Branch Office
- Last date of application: 11 June 2021
- Annual Salary (before TDS): INR 1394119 – INR 1569219
- Email to: HR.Support.India@new-delhi.msf.org
MSF is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that intervenes in emergencies and crises, to relieve human suffering from unmet medical needs and to create a space for humanity. MSF works to provoke a social and political response that meets the essential needs, and respects and protects the dignity, of people in danger. MSF strives to innovate and incite change through its medical action, its “témoignage” and its active reflection on the situation of populations in danger. Respecting its Charter and shared principles, MSF is an independent movement of citizen associations that are integrated and open to their societies. In a spirit of volunteerism, acting in proximity to and in solidarity with assisted peoples, MSF’s members adhere to humanitarian principles and respect for medical ethics.
MSF has worked in India since 1999, providing free-of-charge essential healthcare to people in remote areas, and specialist care for people affected by HIV/AIDS, malnutrition, hepatitis C, tuberculosis, kala azar and sexual and gender-based violence. We also respond to natural disasters and other emergencies, provide mental healthcare and advocate for the development of more effective and affordable medicines to improve access to treatment for people everywhere. We currently run projects in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Manipur, and Telangana.
MSF has projects in more than 70 countries. MSF India is one of 24 institutional offices pooling funding, expertise and staff for MSF field operations worldwide.
MSF was awarded the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development in 1996 and the Nobel Peace Prize in 1999.
MSF India is a people-focused humanitarian organization that offers a diverse, collaborative, and inclusive work environment. We believe this approach enhances our work and we are committed to equity in employment. We embrace diverse backgrounds of people working together to exhibit their passion in action for the social mission of MSF.
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, invites persons with disability with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the vacant position.
The Public Health Department, Operational Centre Amsterdam (OCA)
The Public Health Department (PHD) of Operational Centre Amsterdam (OCA) supports the overall purpose of MSF, providing medical and public health leadership for the organisation. The department is responsible for providing strategic direction and integrated advice on medical and public health issues to the field and headquarters. The PHD plays a key role in developing and maintaining the medical humanitarian identity and image of MSF-OCA, and in continuing to develop and improve intervention strategies so as to be relevant and effective.
The PHD is made up of health programme managers and clinical and public health specialists, mostly based in the MSF offices in Amsterdam, Berlin and London. In addition to providing medical management of MSF’s field operations, the PHD gives technical and strategic guidance across a range of fields including infectious diseases, non-communicable diseases, mental health, nutrition, paediatrics, and vaccination as well as epidemiology, health promotion, laboratory, pharmaceutical quality/medical supply, and water/sanitation.
The Manson Unit (MU), MSF UK
The MU is a multi-disciplinary medical team within MSF UK and is the London based part of the PHD. We aim to improve the quality of MSF’s medical programmes worldwide, so the best possible care is delivered to our patients.
The MU is a team of 30 comprised of medical doctors and specialists in infectious diseases, non-communicable diseases, health information systems, epidemiology, geographical information systems, medical editing and research communication. We also have a clinical trial team working towards improved treatments for patients with drug-resistant tuberculosis. We provide direct support to our field programmes through specialist advice on medical issues, implementing new ways of working, supporting research studies and outbreak response.
The eHealth Senior IT Officer position will be based in India and be a part of the eHealth team within the Manson Unit in London, UK – a multidisciplinary team of eHealth, geographical information systems (GIS) and health data experts. The key purpose of this team is to ensure eHealth solutions are integrated and managed correctly and in a sustainable way across OCA.
The team is responsible for:
- Overall ownership of the Health Information (DHIS2) and Electronic Medical Records (EMR) systems, as the core health data systems of OCA;
- Ownership of the data model (content structure of the core health data systems); custodian of all the data collected therein (e.g. individual patient data, facility based aggregate data, community data etc.) in line and compliance with the OCA ICT and Information Security Policies;
- Oversight of all eHealth related requests for the OCA;
- Ensuring that the health data protection policy principles and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance are applied within the portfolio of eHealth solutions including the processes around them; and
- Representing OCA in eHealth related intersectional work, including exploring mutualisation opportunities of work and resources.
The Senior eHealth IT Officer will be responsible for the technical support and maintenance of the software platforms comprising of DHIS2, EMR and eHealth solutions for MSF-OCA, as well as managing a novel system for the organisation utilising a broad spectrum of technologies.
While the most important part of the work revolves around system/user support, the post-holder will also lead the strategic direction and evolution of the system(s) and solutions over time based on the needs of the field combined with emergence of new technology and in alignment with the IT strategies across the MSF movement.
In addition, there will be comprehensive knowledge transfer from our current development partner as well as training opportunities depending on the post holder’s skills.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Deliver Outcomes: Including Decisions
- Provide levels 1, 2 & 3 technical support to users and forward level 4 support requests to external partners (helpdesk).
- Responsible for automation frameworks/continuous integration pipelines providing update/upgrade packages for provision of the field servers.
- Remotely manage and monitor field server instances (via central monitoring server) in adherence to the OCA Remote & Monitoring System.
- Conduct field visits when remote management/support is not possible.
- Manage the devices (servers, laptops, tablets) required for field deployments in collaboration with OCA field IT teams, and in compliance with OCA Field ICT systems and policies (Servers & Workstations: OCA standard image, Tables: Manage by Intunes) including initial setup and software updates.
- Collaborate with the infrastructure and field support teams in OCA’s IT department, for communicating non-functional requirements of the systems, aligning technologies used and ensuring adherence to OCA’s IT guidelines and policy.
- Testing of DHIS2 software related to planned upgrades.
- Identify and resolve customer software problems, software failures, and complex problems which require independent action to correct and/or prevent.
- Provide technical support to the field ICT officers before, during and after the deployment of the system.
- Provide technical advice to eHealth solutions with the potential for integration with the other health information systems (HIS).
- Test potential new applications in an MSF environment aligned with eHealth needs.
Analysis and Initiative
- The central HIS servers are externally managed. Tasks for this part of the system will include accessing the monitoring server, analysing logs and backups and making modifications to the acceptance server.
Planning and Organising
- Devise strategies in alignment with OCA ICT schedules and plans to support the delivery of system upgrades, software/functionality updates, and/or roll-out of new systems/solutions within the defined timelines.
- Manage responses from field and headquarter users to requests in a timely manner.
- Manage use of Elixir – a platform used to receive and track eHealth solutions and HIS requests including assigning operators and updating forms.
- Fully responsible for the supervision and support of the eHealth IT officer, including conducting annual performance appraisals and objective setting.
- Train the field implementation teams and mission ICT field officers as part of pre-deployment preparations of the systems/solutions.
- Provide technical support to the field implementation teams during deployment of the systems.
- Build and maintain internal relationships with key OCA departments and missions including IT.
- Participate in regular meetings with external development partners, primarily on blocker bugs in DHIS2 platform affecting MSF-OCA configuration, and openMRS.
- Keep informed, and contribute to, the wider DHIS2 platform and user community on bugs and fixes in upcoming versions.
- Initiate and develop internal and external contacts and networks, notably with:
- MSF intersectional HIS platform: Teams from other MSF operational centres for information exchange, aligning technical approaches where applicable, identifying topics with collaboration potential
- Hosting providers
- Members of software platform communities, notably DHIS2 and openMRS
- Build and maintain relationships over time with stakeholders, beneficiaries, external partners etc. in order to seek areas for improvement, mutualization, and influence events or decisions.
- Be an active member of the eHealth
- Team and working collaboratively to achieve its shared objectives.
Please note that this list is indicative of the key responsibilities of this role but is by no means exhaustive. MSF is an emergency organisation and a ‘Can do’ attitude and flexibility to take on other related tasks is essential.
Knowledge, skills and expertise – Essential
- Degree in information technologies or equivalent professional training
- Proficient in setup and administration of Linux and Windows Systems, and Hyper-V virtualization environments, including scripting
- Proficient in setup and administration of Tomcat and PostgreSQL servers
- Proficient in setup and administration of network infrastructure (distributed networks, VPNs, reverse proxies)
- Experience in creating and setting up Hyper-V instancesDemonstrable experience in a professional environment fulfilling duties and responsibilities equivalent to the ones mentioned in this document
- Strong team-working skills and experience, particularly in a matrix management environment
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to transfer knowledge effectively and train users on new systems
- Be able to work independently, with minimal supervision and under pressure
- Ability to prioritise tasks, multi-task, be target-oriented and manage time well
- Willing to travel abroad and spend time in the field projects, when required
- Behavioral Competencies :
- Strategic Vision (level 3)
- Behavioral fleixibility (level 3)
- Analytical skills (level 3)
- Planning and Organising (level 3)
- People Management & development (level 2)
- Security awareness & management (level 3)
Knowledge, skills and expertise – Desirable
- Previous experience in managing and deploying large IT systems
- Knowledge of REST API
- Proficient skills in Python
- Experience with docker
- Experience with Postman tool
- Experience with continuous integration systems
- Experience with automation platforms, e.g. Ansible
- Experience with helpdesk tools
- Experience with the DHIS2 and openMRS platforms
- Experience with eHealth solutions
- Understanding of the health care industry
- Understanding the field location and INGO context
HR & Benefits
- A stimulating, professional environment in a reputed international organization.
- Annual Salary (before TDS): INR 1394119 – INR 1569219
- 33 paid leaves (prorate from date of joining) and other leaves as per MSF Internal Regulations.
- Contributions for statutory benefit programs such as Provident Fund and Gratuity.
- Covered under accident insurance
- Medical: MSF provides medical reimbursement for employees and their dependents as per MSF India health care policy
Please clearly state in ‘subject’ of email which position you are applying for and the source from where you saw the job profile and send your CV with cover letter (combined in one word file) to:
Last date of application: 11 June 2021
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
- Candidates of non-Indian origin applying for this position should have a valid legal working permit.