MSF India has developed a donation refund policy as part of our commitment to honouring and respecting the financial contributions that people make to MSF India. We recognise the importance of donations and want to ensure we establish appropriate principles of transparency and fairness with regard to the management of refunds.
This policy outlines the circumstances under which MSF India Branch Office (hereafter ‘MSF India’) will refund a donation. This policy is applicable for only for Non-earmarked donations. Donations to specific project/CSR donations are not refundable.
This policy applies to all those who make financial donations to MSF India and to MSF India employees and volunteers responsible for processing and managing financial donations.
MSF India expects that anyone wishing to donate considers their decision carefully and checks donation amounts during transactions.
MSF India recognises that it is possible to make an error when making an online donation or for the donors to change their mind about the donation made. It can also occur that an error is made by MSF India or our finance institution.
Under this policy MSF India will endeavour to refund donations in accordance with the following rules:
- If an error is made in making an online donation or if the donor changes their mind, we will honour all requests for refund that are made in writing within 15 (fifteen) days of the date the donation was made. The written refund request should include the details of the initial transaction including date, donation amount, donor’s name, ID, tax invoice number and the nature of the error.
- Written requests for refund can be sent by email or mail:
Correspondence address: Fundraising, MSF India, 5th Floor, Okhla NSIC Metro Station Building, New Delhi – 110020
- MSF India will fully examine all requests for refund and endeavour to ensure that genuine errors are rectified. However, MSF is under no obligation to give refunds and the decision on refunds will be at MSF India’s discretion.
- If – based on the written request – a donor amount is adjusted by MSF India, the original donor receipt issued for the incorrect amount will become invalid and a new receipt will be issued by MSF India for the amount of the adjusted donation
- MSF India reserves the right to pass any refund transaction charged onto the donor
- Refunds will be returned using the original method of payment – for example, if a donation has been made by credit card, the refund will be credited by MSF India to that same credit card
- Should an error be made by MSF India or our financial institution(s), a refund of the full amount will be made once MSF India is notified of the error in writing.
Responsibility and policy owner
The principal owner of this policy is the Head of Fundraising, MSF India. Second: Head of Finance & IT
The owner is responsible for implementing the policy and achieving the desired outcomes.
All MSF India employees and volunteers responsible for receiving and processing donations shall:
- respect and value all those who donate to MSF India
- ensure donation processes are secure and transparent
- build trusting relationships with regular donors and partners
- respond proactively to any issues arising with regard to donation refunds
- communicate respectfully and professionally with those who request a refund and raise any issues or concerns that arise with MSF India management regarding donation refunds.
The policy has been approved by MSF India Management Team on 7 January 2016.